Faculty Athletic Liaison
The Faculty Athletic Liaison Mentoring Program is designed to
enhance the integration of academics and athletics. In a two-fold
approach, the Faculty Athletic Liaison (FAL) will serve as an
academic mentor to the student-athlete within the athletic arena
and will be able to experience and understand the balance required
by the student-athlete to achieve success in both their academic
and athletic endeavors. This relationship will provide an avenue
for student-athletes to interact directly with a faculty member
regarding their academic and athletic responsibilites.
The following have been established as guidelines for those participating in the FAL Mentoring Program:
1. The athletic department will identify faculty who have an interest in developing relationships with student-athletes outside the academic setting.
2. Each coach will assume responsibility for informing the liaison of ODAC and NCAA policies to ensure there is understanding of these rules. Also, each liaison will be made aware of the potential risk involved with their participation in or near team playing and practice situations should that be part of their agreement.
3. The level of involvement of the FAL will be discussed and decided upon by both the Head Coach and FAL. The level of involvement of the FAL will likely vary between sports and coaches.
4. The FAL and Head Coach will receive a list of ideas to enhance the experience of the mentoring program. The list will provide the FAL with suggestions for building rapport with the team, how the FAL can support the academic mission of the student as well as supporting the coach. There will also be ideas on how the FAL and coach can strengthen the connection between academics and athletics.
5. The FAL is not to serve in an academic advising role and should encourage the student-athletes to meet with their academic advisor on a regular basis.
Baseball - Jill Lassiter
Men’s Basketball - Randy Hook
Women’s Basketball - Barbara Long
Field Hockey - Amanda Campbell
Football - Mwizenge Tembo
Men’s Golf - Randy Young
Volleyball - Brandon Marsh
Men’s Soccer - Charles Fleis
Women’s Soccer - Rob Hamill
Softball - Elizabeth Smith
Men's and Women's Tennis - Steve Watson
Swimming - Lori-Gano Overway
Men's and Women's Track and Field - Verne Leininger
Women’s Lacrosse - Rob Hamill
Men's and Women's Cross Country - Vickie Denlinger