skip navigation

Eagles Shut Out Virginia Wesleyan, 1-0

Garret Logan defends for the Eagles against Virginia Wesleyan.

BRIDGEWATER, Va. - Bridgewater College rode the momentum from Saturday's upset victory over No. 5 Washington and Lee into Wednesday's home contest and the Eagles pulled off another impressive victory by shutting out Virginia Wesleyan, 1-0, in ODAC action.

The Eagles improve to 5-6 overall and 2-1 in the ODAC. Wednesday's victory was the Eagles' third straight and their second straight in conference play.

Bridgewater scored the game's lone goal in the 24th minute. After a foul against the Marlins in the Bridgewater defensive side of the field, the Eagles put the ball in play quickly. Thomas White dribbled down field and dropped a pass to Leo Alcantara at the top of the box. Alcantara pushed a pass to his left to an open Eric Hogge and the Eagles freshman took a shot toward the far post that bounced off the post and into the goal for a 1-0 Eagles lead.

Just moments after the Eagles' goal, the Marlins had an opportunity when Andrew Freeman got his foot on a ball in traffic inside the six, but he wasn't able to put enough on the shot as it rolled directly to Eagles' keeper Quentin Boric for the save.

On their next trip into the offensive end, the Eagles scored what they thought was their second goal. Alcantara crossed a ball from the right side toward the far post and Roberto Gonzalez headed the shot into the net, but was called for offside to negate the score.

The Eagles took the 1-0 lead into the break following a tightly contested first half. Bridgewater held a 5-4 edge in shots while the Marlins had the advantage in corner kicks, 2-1.

With the 1-0 lead, the Eagles defended and worked to counter for much of the second half. Bridgewater had two strong opportunities to extend the lead, but came away empty-handed each time.

In the 58th minute, White worked open from beyond the top of the box for an open shot from straight away, but Marlins' keeper Nick Peterson was in position for the save.

With the clock approaching 10 minutes to play, Eagles forward Julian Ofori got behind the defense for a 1-on-1 with the keeper. Ofori's shot from the left side to the far post rolled just wide, leaving the Eagles with the 1-0 advantage.

The Marlins had a 7-3 edge in shots in the second half, but the Eagles' defense did a solid job of clearing the ball out of the box and Boric came up with three saves to preserve the 1-0 victory.

Boric finished the contest with five saves to record his second shutout of the season. Peterson recorded four saves for the Marlins.

The Eagles return to action Saturday afternoon when they host Lynchburg College. Game time is set for 4:00 p.m.