skip navigation

Women’s Lacrosse Picks Up First Win Against Millsaps, 17-7

Women’s Lacrosse Picks Up First Win Against Millsaps, 17-7

CLERMONT, Fla. – A balanced offensive attack from the Bridgewater women's lacrosse team finally earned them a 17-7 win in the non-conference game against Millsaps College in Clermont, Florida over spring break.

Bridgewater came out of the gates firing, scoring the first three goals of the game in under two minutes. Three seconds into the game, Carli Bafford snuck one past the keeper on a free position shot. Fifty seconds later, Peggy Russell scores with 29:02 remaining. Freshman Caroline Fletcher ends the run with a goal with 28:18 left in the first half, putting Bridgewater in the lead, 3-0.

Millsaps responds with one goal before Katie Freeman puts one in the back of the net off of a Fletcher pass. Taylor Chamberlain follows with her first of five goals to make the score 5-2 with 19:23 left in the first frame.

The Majors put another tally on the board before the Eagles burst with a 5-0 run heading into intermission. With 13 minutes on the clock, Jordyn Hutchins scored off a Fletcher pass. The next 11 minutes remained scoreless between both teams before Chamberlain cut off the drought with a goal from a Jenna Devilbiss pass, boosting the Bridgewater lead to 7-2.

Freeman received a pass from Chamberlain and shot one past the keeper with 2:38 left in the first half. Bafford and Chamberlain both scored goals in the last 30 seconds of the half to put the Eagles up 10-2 heading into the locker room.

In the first half, Bridgewater led Millsaps with a 19-8 shot advantage and earned nine draw controls, while the Majors only gained three.

Coming out of the break, Millsaps scored first to cut the Bridgewater lead to 10-3. Bafford followed that up with a free position goal with 27:23 on the clock. Another Millsap goal put the score at 11-4.

With 23:54 left in the game, Freeman scored off of a Chamberlain pass. Within a matter of 15 seconds, Chamberlain scored back-to-back goals, the first from a Fletcher assist and the second from a free position, to put the Eagles up 14-4 with 23:10 remaining in the second half.

Freeman scored her final goal of the game from a Bafford pass to make the score 15-4 with 18:32 left to go.

Millsaps responded with another goal to cut the Eagles lead 15-5, but Hutchins scored with 14:52 on the clock to bring the Bridgewater lead back to 11, 16-5.

The Majors snuck another shot past Laura Reynolds with 9:42 left. Hutchins scored her third and final goal off an Audrey Kordek pass to make the Bridgewater lead 17-6 with eight minutes remaining in the game. Millsaps was able to score one final goal with about 30 seconds left to make the final score 17-7 to give Bridgewater its first win of the season.

Chamberlain led the Eagles' attack with five goals and two assists. Freeman added four goals, while Bafford and Hutchins both contributed three. Fletcher dished out a game-high three assists.

Reynolds played in the cage for 47:57 minutes and turned away five shots, while Katie LaBranche played for 12:03 minutes and earned three saves.

Bridgewater outshot Millsaps 34-17 and earned 18 of the game's 22 draw controls.

The Eagles are back in action March 19th when they travel to Roanoke for the conference opener. Game time is set for 6 p.m.