skip navigation

Third Quarter Run Leads Eagles Past Marymount

sean macleish completes a pass to Ryan McHugh

BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater College men's lacrosse team made the decisive run at the beginning of the third quarter, beating Marymount 13-10 on Saturday.

Blake Mann had seven points on six goals and one assist, while Sean MacLeish (two goals, four assists) totaled six points. Taylor Phipps scored twice for the Eagles.

Kevin Metzger was strong in the cage with 13 saves and a game-high five ground balls. Jake Truman also picked up five ground balls, while MacLeish had four.

Trailing 8-6 at halftime, the Eagles struck four times in the next five minutes.

MacLeish helped tie it up with a goal in transition from James Georgoff, and then an assist to Mann.

Phipps restored an Eagle lead with an outside rip at 11:46, and Mann scored off another MacLeish assist to make it 10-8 with 10:10 still on the third quarter clock.

Daniel Brown could have added to the lead early in the fourth quarter, but hit the crossbar. BC made it 12-9 on an outstanding goal- MacLeish sent a no-look pass to Ryan McHugh, who scored while leaping to avoid the crease.

Marymount's Dylan Watkins fired one in on the first shot attempt of the game. On the next Saints possession, Watkins was just wide from a similar spot on the field, and Metzger followed with a save on Nathan Beard.

Phipps got Bridgewater on the board with a solo drive and sidearm rip. MacLeish then tied it at 2-all with a low shot off McHugh's assist.

Marymount nearly got in behind the defense directly off the ensuing faceoff, but Scott Tucker was able to shut the chance down. Mann soon gave the Eagles their first lead, 3-2, on a nice crease move.

The Eagles forced a turnover on the clear early in the second quarter and Mann picked up the ground ball and scored under pressure to make it 5-3 BC.

The Eagles had another chance to go up by two in the second with a one-minute man-advantage. Bridgewater turned it over twice however, and Marymount tied it at 5-5 in transition right after the penalty cleared.

Clark Akers gave the Saints a two-goal lead at the break. First he made several moves before getting outside and finishing an overhead shot from the tightest of angles to put MU in front. The Eagles turned it over on the clear in the final seconds of the half and Akers scored with one second remaining to make it 8-6.

Bridgewater improves to 3-0 and will be home again next Saturday vs. William Peace.